Do you understand what motivates and excites children and young people?
Are you inspired to shape the future of their play opportunities and experiences?
Do you strive to ensure that a wide range of play possibilities are accessible to them?
If you enjoy nurturing individuals and mentoring teammates then this job would be perfect for you!
To apply please fill in our application form below.
About the Role:
We are looking to hire diligent, persuasive and confident individuals to assist session supervisors and guide playworkers in the day to day organization of Incredible Kids sessions ensuring quality play activities are facilitated within a safe, caring and stimulating environment for children and young people aged 0 – 25 with a disability, developmental difficulty or any additional needs, and supporting their families. You will assist the session supervisor to improve outcomes and quality of life for the children and young people that we work with. You will play a big part in creating an environment that is warm, welcoming, and vibrant.
Senior playworkers will be an important and integral part of the Incredible Kids team working in a fast paced environment out in the community with children and young people and their families including their wider support network.
About Incredible Kids
Incredible Kids runs inclusive play and support sessions for children and young people with additional needs and disabilities. The charity also supports their siblings and parent carers. Operating since June 2012 the charity was set up by parents to provide mutually beneficial support to each other, allowing their children and young people to play.
The charity aims to reduce social isolation for families with children or young people with additional needs, increase their wellbeing and improve confidence and social skills by providing meaningful play activities, mutually beneficial support and increasing knowledge and skills.
- Assist the session supervisor in welcoming children, young people and their families to the sessions.
- Provide an overview of the play session plan to ensure all stakeholders fully understand the rules and expected outcomes.
- Extend support to all participants as and when the need arises.
- Engage with all participants in a way that reflects their preferences, abilities as well as taking into account any specific needs they may have.
- Seek advice from parents/carers on how best to support their children through play sessions.
- Consult children, young people and their families to identify their needs and capture their inputs to shape play session plans accordingly.
- Share personalised tips and other information with families to empower them to care for their children in the best possible way
- Address any concerns that parents may have regarding the development of their children and offer necessary support.
- Act as a conduit between parents and relevant services so that information flows seamlessly across all parties.
- Encourage parental involvement to actively contribute to the growth of Incredible Kids’ volunteer base.
- Ensure all play sessions are hosted in a safe and inclusive way, with a focus on increased safety measures while playing outdoors.
- Prepare and plan each play session adequately to ensure playworkers are fully equipped with all tools and information needed.
- Manage and supervise the playworkers on your team and guide them on best practices.
- Liaise with playworkers and families to capture their feedback post session.
- Monitor records and conduct periodic checks to ensure all documentation is up to date.
- Provide feedback about playworkers’ performance to sessions supervisors to ensure all progress is documented
- Assist supervisors in developing the potential of playworkers and facilitate training sessions to upskill your team.
- Deputise in the absence of the session supervisor.
For this role, successful candidates will have:
- A genuine enthusiasm for the work of the charity.
- A responsible and caring attitude.
- Compassionate, understanding and trustworthy with a patient and tolerant personality.
- Fun and open minded attitude to play with a creative and imaginative disposition.
- Approachable demeanour with the ability to teach and develop others.
- Capability to effectively manage and motivate a small team.
- Great communications skills and the ability to engage with children, parents as well as other playworkers in a confident manner.
- Good planning and organisational skills.
- Strong understanding of safeguarding children, vulnerable adults and ensuring their health and safety.
- Good observation skills to watch for and identify signs of change in a person’s well-being.
- Flexibility to adapt play style to meet individuals needs and online play formats.
- Ability to work under pressure and be proactive to use your own initiative whenever required.
- Willingness to learn and develop through formal training and informal feedback.
- Current first aid at work or emergency first aid at work certificate
- Track record of working with people with additional needs and supporting their families
- Experience within a supervisory role
- Good sense of humor
- Understanding of Makaton
We operate from two locations so you will need your own transport and be willing to add business travel to your car insurance.
The Vench, Lockleaze, BS79TB
Bourne Christian Centre, Waters Road, Kingswood, Bristol, BS15 8BE
As and when required as per COVID-19 guidelines and Incredible Kids’ adapted online play session formats.
£9.25 per hour
Mondays 3.30pm – 8pm;
Saturdays 9am – 6pm;
Mondays 12pm – 6pm;
Fridays 12pm – 6pm;
Saturdays 9 am – 6 pm
You may also be requested to attend training days, which are arranged throughout the year.
Closing date 12th September.
If you want to join a passionate and dynamic team we want to hear from you. For further details, please contact: Jennie Prewett, firstname.lastname@example.org 07766252320
To apply please fill in our application form below.